Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No VU
TitleVulcan Foundry collection
Date 1833-1980
Extent426 items, 20 boxes, 13 bundles and 8 volumes
Level Fonds
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryCharles Tayleur and Company was a locomotive builder founded in 1832. The company was renamed as the Vulcan Foundry Company in 1847 and it acquired limited liability in 1864. The name was changed in 1898 to Vulcan Foundry Limited.

In 1957 Vulcan Foundry Limited became part of the English Electric group. In 1966 Ruston and Hornsby Limited and the English Electric Company Limited merged to form English Electric Diesels Limited. In 1970 Ruston Paxman Diesel Limited was formed as a management company of English Electric Diesels Limited with its headquarters at Vulcan Works. In 1975 Ruston Diesels Limited became a separate company within GEC Diesels Limited. Ruston Diesels Limited later passed through various hands as the result of mergers and acquisitions: GEC Alsthom in 1988, Alstom Engines Limited in 1998 and MAN B & W Diesel in 2000. Vulcan Works closed at the end of 2002.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019