Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No STR
TitleSt.Helens Borough Council Transport Department
Date 1899-1976
DescriptionCollection of photographs and general documentation relating to St.Helens Borough Council Transport Department
Extent300 items, 2 bundles, 2 volumes and 1 file
Level Fonds
CreatorNameSt Helens Borough Council Transport Department
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryPublic transport in St.Helens dates from 5 Nov 1881 when the St.Helens and District Tramways Co. Ltd. started to run horse-drawn trams to Prescot. In 1889 horses gave way to steam traction and in 1897 the transport undertaking was purchased by the St.Helens and District Tramways Co. Ltd. In 1889 steam gave way to electric trams and on 1 Oct 1919 the St.Helens Borough Council assumed total control of the public transport in St.Helens.
AcquisitionDeposited at various dates by the Hall Street Depot, St Helens from about 1974. Official local government deposit
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020