Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No SE/4/2
TitleCowley Middle Schools, Girls' and Boys' Schools, Cowley Hill and Hard Lane, St.Helens.
Date 1882-2010
Extent732 items, 127 volumes, 68 bundles
Level Sub-Series
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryCowley Middle Schools opened in 1882. A new block for the boys was added in 1911. The Girls' school took the whole of the older part of the school. In 1930 a new Cowley Boys' School was built at Hard Lane, St.Helens. Cowley Girls' School remained at Cowley Hill Lane.

Comprehensive education was introduced in St.Helens in 1970. Each school became a 13-18 single sex comprehensive school, changing to include 11-18 age groups in 1974. For a short time from 1976-1978, these schools were named Cowley High School for Boys and Cowley High School for Girls. By 1978 the schools were known as Cowley High School with around 1,400 boys and girls.

In Dec 1991 Cowley Hill Lane School finally closed.

The school in Hard Lane was renamed Cowley Language College in 2001 and became Cowley International College in 2010.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019