Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No SE/4
TitleCowley Schools, St.Helens
Date 1875-2010
Extent786 items, 229 volumes, 82 bundles
Level Series
RelatedMaterial'The Cowley Schools 1716-1982, Intentions, Interpretations and Interference' by Kenneth T. Taylor (A25.2)
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryThe original Cowley school was established as a result of a bequest made in 1714/1715 by Sarah Cowley of Hardshaw, St.Helens. By the end of the 18th century it was decided to build a new school at College Lane, St.Helens. Cowley British Schools replaced this school in 1845.In 1874 a new boys' and girls' school was proposed. Charity Commissioners decided that the Cowley Trust money should be used for Higher Education instead of Elementary (which was provided for under the 1870 Education Act). The new Cowley Middle Schools was built in 1882 at Cowley Hill Lane, St.Helens. The name of Cowley still applied to both establishments, however the Cowley Trust was transferred to Cowley Middle Schools from this point.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019