Click here to skip to main content.
Ref No SE/25
TitleSt Joseph's Roman Catholic School, Peasley Cross, St.Helens
Date 1868-1993
Extent97 volumes, 2 bundles and 1 item
Level Series
AdminHistoryOn 1 Sep 1878 the Church of St Joseph was opened at Peasley Cross, but it had existed as a mission served by the Passionist Fathers of Sutton from 1862.

Their first school was run by two Passionist Sisters from a building in Appleton Street, St.Helens. A new Junior school was built in Cleveland Street, St.Helens, in 1909, although the Infants remained in the Appleton Street building. A new Infants school was opened in Gaskell Street, St.Helens in 1967 and a new Junior school was opened on adjacent land in 1974.

This collection also contains information on St Joseph's Infants School in Farnworth Street, Fingerpost/Parr, St.Helens, which was opened in 1856 with 400 children from St Mary's Lowe House School. The school was eventually closed due to falling numbers in 1980. The relationship between St Joseph's Infants School Fingerpost/Parr and St Joseph's Roman Catholic School, Peasley Cross remains unclear.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024