Click here to skip to main content.
Ref No SE/20
TitleSt. Mary's Lowe House Schools, St.Helens
Date 1863-1987
Extent13 volumes, 10 items and 1 bundle
Level Series
AdminHistoryThe first mass was said at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary's Lowe House in 1793. Although the church was dedicated to St. Mary of the Assumption it was partially renamed St. Mary's Lowe House virtually immediately to commemorate the maiden name of the founder Winifred Eccleston née Lowe.

The history of the associated schools is less clear. Mrs. Eccleston established an early school in Cowley Hill close to Rutland Street and Cowley Hill Lane that continued to be used until well after her death. The property was demolished in 1870.

Another Catholic school called 'The Poor School' was established in Duke Street. When 'The Poor School' closed in about 1836, another school was opened in a building attached to the Crab Street side of the Lowe House presbytery. In 1849 a large stone built school was erected at the end of Crab and Oxford Streets to accommodate an Infants and Elementary school for boys and girls. During the mid 1850s Father Ullathorne extended the school by constructing the Boys' School in Halefield Street and then obtained permission to acquire a religious Order of Sisters to educate girls.

In 1903 the Halefield Street building ceased to be used for educational purposes because a new Ullathorne Memorial School for boys was opened. In the 1960s, as a result of the comprehensive school movement, a scheme was adopted with Holy Cross and S.S. Peter and Paul parishes to construct a joint school to accommodate pupils over the age of 11 years. As a result St. Alban's School was established in 1964 and took both boys and girls. The Old Boys' School became a Mixed Junior school and the Girls' School was closed and demolished in 1973.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024