Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No SE/19
TitleWindle Schools, Queen Street, St.Helens
Date 1868-1966
Extent9 volumes
Level Series
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryWindle Schools were opened in 1869 following a donation by Sir David Gamble, and were maintained at his expense until 1903. The 1902 Education Act made it necessary to decide whether to transfer the schools to parish ownership (St Marks's) or release them to the local education authority at St.Helens. It was decided that the Parish of St Mark's would assume control and a deed was prepared to let the school on a yearly basis to four managers: the Vicar of St Mark's and three members of the Gamble family. The schools continued to be known among local people as the 'Gamble's' and finally closed in Jul 1966.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024