Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No SE/18
TitleLaffak School, Back Lane, St.Helens
Date 1874-1962
Extent6 volumes, 3 bundles, 2 items and 1 file
Level Series
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryThe Laffak School was opened by the owners of Johnson's Colliery in 1861 for the educational provision of the children of colliers.

Although there is a reference to William Gamble having been Chairman of the school in 1885, a newspaper article of 1903 stated that the school belonged to the sons of Sir David Gamble (similar to the establishment of the Windle Schools). However the organisation of the Laffak School differed considerably from the Windle Schools in that over half the children did not belong to the Church of England but rather the Baptist church. Thus the provisions of the 1902 Education Act had to be interpreted in a different manner for if the school were passed to the parish authorities it would become a Church of England school within the Parish of St Mark's and would be unsuitable for most of the children. It was therefore decided to pass control of Laffak School to the St.Helens local education authority.

The school was known locally as 'Back House' and was situated off Woodlands Road at Back Lane at the time of its closure in 1962.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024