Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No GWP
TitleGeoff Williams Photography Collection
Date 1897-1961
DescriptionThis collection includes portrait and passport photographs, weddings, events, sport, work and industry, buildings, community celebrations and life, documenting life in St Helens in the mid 1950s. The collection consists mainly of glass plate negatives but also includes film photographic negatives and printed photographs.
Extent10 series, 466 files, 3574 items
Level Fonds
NotesGeoff Williams (1920 -1998) was the proprietor of Central Studios, a photography studio at 16 George Street, St Helens from c1950-1970. Geoff Williams photographed most of the images in this collection in 1955. The majority of the negatives are original photographic images taken by Geoff Williams. There are some that are copies or older images, it is likely that they are in the collection as prints were produced in the photography studio. The titles of the items in the collection are those given by the photographer.
St Helens Through The Lens was a 10 month Heritage Lottery Fund supported project that digitised, preserved, catalogued and explored the Geoff Williams Photography Collection in 2016/17. This collection was catalogued by Victoria Brokenshire assisted by a team of volunteers as part of the project.
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsAccess to the glass negatives in this collection is restricted because of their fragility. They may be viewed only under supervision by a member of staff of St Helens Local History and Archives Library. The majority of the collection has been digitised or have been printed, these may be viewed without these restrictions.
LocationStore Room 5
AcquisitionIn October 1984, working from information supplied by St Helens MBC Technical Services Department, Vivien Hainsworth, Local History & Archives Librarian accompanied by a Council workman made an exploratory hole in the wall of a back room of the pet shop of A. Hill, 16 George Street, St Helens. This premises had formerly been used by photographers, whose glass negatives had been boarded up and left. About 4000 glass negatives were discovered of which about 3000 were left intact. The collection was originally referred to as the 'Jordan and Metcalfe Collection' although was renamed as the 'Geoff Williams Photography Collection' when the dates of the images in the collection became apparent.
CopyrightThe images are "orphan works", they are in copyright, however the copyright holder is unknown. Prior to 1 August 1989, the copyright of photographs which were created as a result of a commission were owned by the commissioner rather than the creator. (Source: Intellectual Property Office).
If you are a rights holder or the identifiable subject of an image and wish for the image to be removed, please contact us with the following information: Your contact details and the reason for concern, details of the material and the URL / reference number, proof to show you are the identifiable individual.
Material may be used for educational purposes (research, education, teaching and private study) but not for commercial purposes (selling, reselling or using the material any financial or commercial gain). If materials are used they must be cited 'From the Geoff Williams Photography collection, St Helens Local History & Archives'
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020