Click here to skip to main content.
 

Glossary of local terms for places in St.Helens

Some of the following St.Helens dialect expressions and local terms occur in archival collections held at St.Helens Local History and Archives Library.

Battery Cob Section of raised land situated in Sutton. The cob was an artificial hill used for testing bullets by the nearby armaments works. It was the site of a wartime plane crash in 1943.
 
Bergies or Burghies Banks of waste material alongside Haresfinch Road, St.Helens derived from the glass polishing industry.
 
Billy Woods A deep clay hole filled with water off Watery Lane, Sutton, St.Helens. The clay was dug out for earthenware products made by the Sutton Drain Tile and Garden Pot works in Nook Lane. Children used to swim in the hole despite the danger.
The Bonk Site of chemical waste caused by a factory explosion near the back of Watery Lane going towards Fleet Lane, Parr, St.Helens.
 
Cement City Estate off Fleet Lane/Berry's Lane, Parr in St.Helens built for colliery workers.
 
Cephos Bridge Bridge at Peasley Cross Lane, St.Helens which contained a placard advertising Cephos headache remedy in the 1960s.
 
Chemics (also spelt ‘Kimmicks’ or “Kimics”) Chemical waste site near Borough Road and Greenbank area in St.Helens
 
Cinder Walk This was a local name for the Watery Lane side of Cecil Street, St.Helens, prior to the construction of houses in the area in the 1950s. The name arose because cinders from Thomas Bolton and Sons Copper Rolling Mill were tipped regularly onto the unpaved road.
 
The Cleg Originally a clay hole on land off Nutgrove Hall Drive/Elephant Lane, St.Helens. The back of the land used to be Tannery Farm Garage
 
Daffodil School Hamblett School in Rainford Road, St.Helens was known as the Daffodil School because of its spectacular show of yellow blooms each springtime.
 
Donkey Common Nickname for an open space, roughly north of Elephant Lane in Thatto Heath, St.Helens,
 
The Downies Undulating grassland near Burtonhead Road, Thatto Heath, St.Helens. 
 
Griffins The Scala Cinema, Ormskirk Street opened in 1911 and was nicknamed ‘Griffins’ after the owner, Alfred Griffin. It closed in 1957
 
The Hotties “The Hotties” refers to a series of pipes, located on the south bank of the Sankey Canal, which formerly discharged hot water/steam from the glass works, producing clouds of steam over the canal’s surface.
 
Intersection Bridge Bridge off Gerards Lane, St.Helens where St.Helens/Runcorn Gap Railway crosses Liverpool/Manchester line.
 
Jaggers Nickname for Richard Evans School, Haydock, St.Helens. The name derives from John Jaggers who was the first head teacher.
 
Little Pig The Victoria Vaults was known locally as the "Little Pig" because men from the local slaughterhouse would smuggle young pigs to the landlord who paid in kind with beer.
 
Monkey Bridge Bridge over railway, which leads from Dee Road to Kendricks Fold, Rainhill, St.Helens
 
Mucky Mountains These were alkaline waste tips which were deposited on the banks of the Sankey Canal by companies such as Muspratt's Vitriol Works.
 
Nine Arches Sankey (railway) Viaduct at Earlestown has nine arches.
 
Parr Dog Nickname for the Parrvilion Cinema, Jackson Street, St. Helens, which opened in 1914. It was the first local cinema to be upgraded for sound films. It closed in 1958 and later became Free's glass emporium.
 
Pickled Egg Nickname for the Manor House public house, Sutton Road, St.Helens.  The landlord's speciality was pickled egg.
 
Pudding Bag The 'Pudding Bag' district in Sutton contained a close-knit community, lying inside 3 railway lines between Intersection Bridge and St.Helens Junction station. The district was an enclosed cul-de-sac with a single opening which served both as a means of entrance and exit; therefore it acquired its name because it was like a pudding bag with an opening at only one end.
 
Red Rocks A natural sandstone path stretching from Prescot Road to the top of the Avenue, St.Helens.
 
The Rink Earlestown & Newton Police Station, Market Street, Earlestown.  It was built on the site of The Old Pavilion.
 
Sankey Canal Also known as the St. Helens Canal
 
77 Step Bridge Second bridge over railway from Rainhill Station to Lea Green, St.Helens.
 
The Stinkey Brook Sankey Brook (a stream near Sankey Canal, St.Helens) was known as “the Stinkey Brook” because it was the disposal ground for waste from local chemical companies.
 
Sutton Bug Nickname for the Sutton Empire cinema, Junction Lane, Sutton, St.Helens, which opened in 1913 and closed in 1957.  The building later housed a carpet shop.

Special thanks to Nora Duckett, Mary Presland and the Thursday Group, Gloria Lyon and E.B. Mooney for providing entries for the St.Helens dialect glossary.

Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019